Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Corn on the Cob



We are heading into summer and I, once again, can not get a grip on corn on the cob. Skyler's blood sugar goes bananas. I have stretched the bolus, I have increased the stretch, I have given a little up front and stretched the rest out, I have increased the up front and stretched the rest. You get the idea. I can't make it work.

Of course, the kid loves corn on the cob!!!

Any advice out there?

 It took me a while to master pizza, but I did after a good long time. Corn on the cob seems to be a tougher battle.

5 comments:

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Corn on the cob wreaks havoc with Jack's BG, too...just like pizza and ice cream. Wish I had a tip or two to share. Just know you're not alone.

Jules said...

wow interesting! we havent really gotten around to investigating what to do about crazy foods. still in somewhat of a survival mode.

Unknown said...

Joe doesn't like it...sorry, I am useless! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! xoxo

Hallie Addington said...

Ugh! Corn! We have had a few battles! Sweets eats her off the cob so it's easier to count. I feel your pain, though!

Penny said...

Oh I know! I know! My Grace loves corn on the cob. Here's what i do for her (your diabetes may vary, so this is NOT medical advice :0)

A whole ear of corn for Grace is about 35 grams of carbs. I bolus for it, giving her 50% of the bolus now and spreading 50% of her bolus over the next 2 hours. Then I run a temp basal at +30% for 2, close to 3 hours after she eats, depending on her level of activity after eating (ex. swimming, playing, going to bed or not, etc)

Corn is tricky, much like pizza, but this seems to work for us. Bolus, give half that dose now, half for the next 2 hours, plus a +30% temp basal for 2-3 hours. You will have to play around with the lengths of time and the amount of + temp basal, but it should work something like this.

If you need to chat off-blog, feel free to email me at starrashton@yahoo.com

Hope this helps,
Penny