Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Diagnosis

I started this blog with the hopes of connecting with others who experience what I do, to help newly diagnosed families, and as an outlet for my own thoughts and feelings.

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about four years ago at age 3 1/2. She is now eight and a happy, healthy, beautiful little girl.

We all have those days in our lives we will never forget. Those big, significant days that eventually add up to be the story of your life. January 28th 2006 was one of mine. I brought my daughter to the pediatrician for frequent urination and excessive thirst. I thought she had a bladder infection. After a blood test I was told she had type 1 diabetes. I insisted that the doctors were wrong. I explained how we don't have diabetes in our family and we eat a healthy diet (I obviously didn't know very much about Type 1 Diabetes then). I immediatley called my husband and the next thing I knew he was there. A family member took my son home. Another brought my daughters comfort supplies (nuk and barbie)to her, and employees took over running the business. Then we were in the hospital; needles, crying, panic, fear,guilt, more needles, numbers, questions, diabetes educators, doctors, insurance, and after two days they sent us home.

One of the most memorable parts of this experience came on the hour and a half ride home from the hospital. My daughter slept, my husband drove, and I cried and prayed. I prayed that I would be able to take care of her and help her avoid any complications for the rest of her life. I prayed for the strength to never let diabetes stop her from doing anything she wants to do. I also repeatedly prayed that my one year old son, who was a terrible sleeper, would finally sleep through the night so I could attend to diabetes. This prayer was answered. That night, and every one since, my son has slept through the night. I only hope the rest of my prayers are so beautifully answered.

No comments: