Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Out There Alone




Last night Skyler said to me, completely out of the blue,"Ya know mom, pretty soon you'll have to set my alarm for the middle of the night so I can check my own blood sugar."
My immediate mom response was, "No way, your nine!" At which point she asked me how long I would do it for and I said, "I don't know, but at least 18."
To this my husband responded, "I think it better be sooner than that since at 18 she will be somewhere in college."

My heart sank.
I can't even imagine.
How will I ever be able to handle that?
I will call her in the middle of night.
I will automatically wake up at that time anyway, for the rest of my life.
Come on technology move along so she can be safe when she is out there alone!!!











5 comments:

Hallie Addington said...

I've thought about the same thing!! I think I may drive over to whoever she is and check her. Or I'll call her. I dream about getting a text from her that says she tested and what her number was...... Ahhh....

Unknown said...

UGH...I don't know how we are all gonna do it. Letting go is hard. I am having so many bitter~sweet moments with Joe lately (well, not lately b/c I am watching him like a hawk with the concussion issue) as he matures and is initiating more "D"- sponsibility...

Heidi / D-Tales said...

I can so relate! The thought of sending Jack to college is more than I can bear right now. I don't know how I'll ever let him go.

Jules said...

Oh Gosh my heart sinks too.

Sarah said...

Well, you did LOVE college...but she probably won't want you there. :-)
I'm not a parent, obviously, so I can't image how hard letting go is for anyone, let alone for the mother of a child with diabetes. But what I do know about is how wonderfully responsible, aware, and smart your daughter is--I know it is still hard to think about the future, but I hope that gives you some comfort.
ps-I'm a bad friend and had no idea you were blogging again! what is wrong with me?!